solomon's seal: arching direction?

l_mtlJune 20, 2014

I have what may sound like a silly question...

I planted one solomon's seal in a smallish shade border. The small plant grew big and I love it, except that I am not totally happy of the overall look because of its arching direction. Every time I look at the "ensemble", I'm telling myself that it should arch the other way to fill a void instead of crowding its neighbor.

Now I need to design another shade border and will include a variegated one, but I do not want to make the same mistake. So I need to understand their arching behavior, to identify what dictates their arching direction : Is is the light? If I examine the arching pattern of a small plant, can I predict the arching behavior of the plant at maturity?

You all seem to be growing Solomon's seal. What are your observations? Any info will be highly appreciated.

Lynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It is phototropic - the stem arch (and therefore the flowers) will align themselves with the maximum sunlight availability.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 6:57PM
l_mtl

Thank you. Will take this into consideration next time!

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:32AM
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Solomon's Seal is just part of the matrix of the forest floor. Why 'fuss' with that arching behavior when it's just doing what it's supposed to. There are no straight lines in nature. Or make that rarely.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 12:41PM
l_mtl

This is a lovely picture and I tend to agree with the principle.
However, most city front lawn borders (in the shade) do not have the space to reach a look that is so "au naturel". I know mine needs more "intervention"...

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 5:52PM
arcy_gw

FYI: The variegated are not as tall so don't arch to the extreme other types do. All plants will grow toward the sun. Some even follow it as it moves through the ski. A day near a sunflower field is amazing.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 5:55AM
More Discussions
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover in the Shade
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™