Big Boy Southern Field Pea and African Giant Peanut Seed

therahort(8 SC)September 20, 2004

I am trying to find a reliable source for "Big Boy" southern field pea seed and "African Giant" and old-fashioned "Jumbo" peanut seed. Those are two varieties of peanut seed, and one variety of southern field pea seed that my mother and I were unable to obtain this year, even though they were advertised in several catalogs that we received early in the year, and from which we ordered early.

However, for one reason or another, the seed companies were unable to fill our orders. Several companies said that there was a crop failure with the "Big Boy" southern field pea seed. We did get $30.00 worth of the "Jumbo" peanut seed, but peanuts that we made did not seem to be true "Jumbo" peanuts, as they were made rich, but were smaller than the old-fashioned "Jumbo" peanuts that we used to plant. I sincerely hope that someone can help me find these seed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy547(z8 AR)

Have you tried your local feed store? That's where we get our purplehull pea & the other veggies. The one we use always has peanuts but we've never tried to grow peanuts so I don't know if the price would be comparable to catalog prices.

Bookmark   October 13, 2004 at 9:27PM
therahort(8 SC)

We only wish we could find them there. Our local feed store has a limited variety of seed, and neither of these two varieties. They have the jumbo, Colossus southern field pea, but it does not stay green like the "Big Boy" does, and its flavor is not as good as the "Big Boy." The "Big Boy" reminds me of a jumbo black eye southern field pea. Thank you for your reply, though.

Bookmark   October 14, 2004 at 2:01PM
Kathy547(z8 AR)

I checked at the feed store here & they didn't have Big Boy, & the only peanuts they had was Spanish & one that started with V. 3 lbs. was something like $3.68. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Noir de Bourgogne currant
Does anyone know where I can get Noir de Bourgogne...
deansfba
OnlinePlantNursery
My experience with an "onlineplantnursery": Below...
EWeeZee
Organic or Not?
I'm in Long Island New York, with a couple of feet...
jannie
Mint and Sage
Hi, my name is Callum and I go to school in Point Loma...
CallumSchool
Watering wands
Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can recommend or direct...
ging
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™