Ideas for battling squash vine borers?

raisingmenMarch 22, 2012

Just wondering if anyone has found good ideas for battling the squash vine borers. I just planted my yellow squash and zucchini for this year, and last year the SVB decimated it all. (link below) IâÂÂm still feeling the sting (last year was my first try at gardening) and would really like to avoid the same thing. I have planted a whole month earlier than I did last year due to the warm weather. Maybe that will help?

I am an organic gardener, but I would consider a pesticide used only on the stem at the time the SVB moths are out. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

So, anyone?

Here is a link that might be useful: A Peaceful Dwelling: Scourge of the Squash Vine Borer: R.I.P Yellow and Zucchini Squash

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Well, first of all you need to know that SVBs pupate in the soil. If you planted your squash in the same spot as last year, it may be worse than last year....Sorry.

Last year, I planted all my summer squash under row covers and left the row covers on until the plants began to bloom. I had a fairly nice harvest before the moths found them, laid eggs, and the eggs hatched. But still, I lost the plants eventually.

This year, I am planting only cucurbita moschatas varieties, since the borers don't bother them.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™