Plants that can stand full shade in my dorm room?

samanthab(z5 MA)June 21, 2010

Hello,

I am currently in college and I live in the dorms on campus. I like to have plants in my room but I realized that the room I will be in this upcoming Fall only has one window and it is fully covered by trees...not much sun gets in at all. I was wondering what would be some nice shade plants to keep in there? Not too big, and obviously not looking for any climbing plants!

The window faces north and like I said there are big trees outside that block any sun.

Thank you, Sam :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I'd just check out the house plant section of your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.). All the plants should have tags and just look for the one that says "shade" or "low light". Ferns are a good example of plants that tolerate lower light levels. If a plant has big splashy flowers, it likely needs more sun (just a general statement).

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 1:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anitamo(5)

I have a Chinese evergreen that does well in very low light. There's a few others, just google houseplants for low light, and you'll get more info. Just make sure you only water the plants when the soil is dry. Over watering is just as bad as never watering...maybe worse.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™