Bougainvilla in pot

Sheri_MS(z8 MS)March 21, 2006

Hi, I potted two bougainvillas with pinkish blooms last year. They did great but of couse died in the winter. Will they come back??? I am not seeing any signs of life yet. How long do I give them before I give up an buy new ones???

Thanks, Sheri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Sheri. I've been researching this plant and find that it's usually hardy if protected from temps under 50 degrees F. during winter. Here's a site that was recommended to me for good info by someone in Arizona. (I visit all the Southern state forums for advice on plants not ordinarily found or grown locally.) josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Bougainvillea

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 11:49AM
amyta(z8 mid GA)

Bougainvillas are dead. They are more tropical than zone 8. You can overwinter them in an unheated garage but water sparingly during this time. They will drop leaves but will put out again in spring when put outside. I've done this for 35 yrs. on one of mine. It's in a huge pot and the "trunk" is like a small tree. I have also brought it inside in the winter and it dropped leaves and looked pretty bad but at least in the garage they are out of the way. By the way, cut them back when you bring them in.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 3:32PM
muddy_hands(z10 S. Fl.)

I'm in zone nine and I've had my potted one for 5 years outside. I don't let it stay out for hard freezes. Mine have no leaves as of yet either.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 10:35AM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

I'm in Zone 7a, and mine overwinters without any twig damage even in unheated garage. I don't water it at all over winter. It sprouts right back in spring.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 6:23PM
Josh(z8a)

Thanks for that info, Brenda. Shows that as often happens the 'experts' are too conservative and GW folks have tested the limits and beyond. josh

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 7:00PM
More Discussions
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
mimosa pruning
I was given a 1 yr old potted mimosa and planted in...
Diane_Warneke
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™