Compleat Botanica or database software

jliddilOctober 16, 2005

I am looking for opinions of Compleat Botanica or other plant/seed database software. Since the company that makes CB does not offer a trial or download version I wanted to see how the company was in general with technical issues and how good is the software.

Are there other equivalent packages that people have evaluated? I really have found very little that is close to this at least from the description. I am also considering just building something from scratch in OpenOffice Base.

Or maybe someone has a homebuilt database the would be willing to share?

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gulfstream(9)

I have this software and have yet to figure it out. However powerful it may be, it's not intuitive or user-friendly. There is no simple menu that says "click here to add a plant" or "click here to add a photograph." The tutorials are not particularly helpful. They're long on the virtues of the software and short on step-by-step how-to's. What step-by-step's there are don't help much.

Of course, perhaps I'm just an idiot. You might do fine with CB. But my impression is the program designers were so lost in the details that they forgot that others approach the software without prior knowledge.

But I'm not ready to give up. I definitely like the idea of a software with botanical substance. As a home gardener rather than a botanist I may not be able to avail myself of all Compleat Botanica has to offer, but I want that depth available if I do.

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Arizonapottery.com
Has anyone ever used Arizonapottery.com? Yay or nay...
Klebehj11
OnlinePlantNursery
My experience with an "onlineplantnursery": Below...
EWeeZee
Mint and Sage
Hi, my name is Callum and I go to school in Point Loma...
CallumSchool
Bay Area (CA) Source for Peeler Cores
I am searching high and low for peeler cores (a mis-used...
mdbrown
Noir de Bourgogne currant
Does anyone know where I can get Noir de Bourgogne...
deansfba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™