Need fresh bay leaves

KatyaKatya(6)March 26, 2013

Dear fellow gardeners, I am going to post this in several forums, so excuse me if you see it many times. I am looking for somebody who has a bay laurel tree (Laurus nobilis, of the plant family Lauraceae, also known as sweet bay), big and strong enough to spare a few branches for me. I am in search of fresh leaves, not dry ones, and I need more of them than I could afford if I buy fresh ones ( where fresh ones are available, it is going to be a few sprigs in a small plastic case at a prohibitive price). Also, my use for them is not a food use, so I donâÂÂt care if the tree is growing next to a highway etc. I am ready to pay reasonably for them (or could swap? What are you looking for?). I am willing to drive a couple of hours to get them. I know that in a mild climate, bay trees grow very well, so they should exist not far to the South from me. I am in Johnson City TN and bay trees do not perform well here. I need the leaves around the last week of April, so there is still time. Thank you very much for your patience, I know it all sounds weird but gardeners are used to everything. I will be checking for replies. Katya.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I must say that I've never seen anyone grow Laurus nobilis, even when I lived in the sub-tropical South.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shanklemsw(Z8 CoastalSC)

I haven't been on this forum in a LONG time, so you probably found what you need. I had a huge, 12 foot bay tree when I lived outside of Charleston. I bought it on the one-dollar-I -give -up table at Lowe's. It thrived.I miss it so bad I bought a new one for my new Greensboro, NC, garden. So they do fine in the South.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
Sponsored Products
Palm Bay Three-Light Chandelier
$232.95 | Bellacor
Foscarini | Chouchin Round Multipoint Pendant
$870.00 | YLighting
American Drew Tribecca 3 Piece Table Set w/ Barstool in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
Roman Leopard Rug 8' x 11' - BROWN
$1,499.00 | Horchow
Pure Rugs | Park Premium Cowhide Rug
YLiving.com