A couple questions about really happy Cannas

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)March 22, 2013

Can they go under a piece of concrete curb?
Will mowing keep them separate from lawn?
Can they go under the house (up on blocks but siding to the ground?)

Starting to question my placement...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

Those are terribly invasive. I have some orange ones that I've never been able to get rid of, though I diligently dig them up all the time. They will grow into your lawn, but mowing will only keep them at or right below the surface. I don't know about the concrete, it depends upon how wide it is. Under the house? Maybe, but they can't grow there, obviously, but won't go from there to the other side under the house, I'm sure.

They may also come up from seed, and the seed scatter. Be warned.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:19PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

The concrete is a piece of curb that used to be part of the street, so about 7" wide (around the corner, not visible in the pic.) If they get out of that, they'll just get mowed, so probably OK. I don't think these should be next to that Gardenia shrub (behind Cannas in pic.) Think I'll move those soon. I can't stand the look of any dead flowers, so cut them off daily, seeds won't be an issue. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 8:59AM
eahamel(9a)

Good luck getting them out of there. I have 2 kinds in my yard, the old fashioned orange blooming ones, and one that I planted that I found in a vacant lot, that is probably a species, it has very small red blooms. I haven't yet succeeded in getting them all out of the beds, but there aren't as many as there used to be.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:56AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

That orange one sounds pretty! Is it one with spots inside the flowers? You're right about their toughness. Just put those there in June and when I dug out a piece for trade a couple weeks ago, it put up a fight. Duh, now I understand why these are usually by themselves, away from the house somewhere. Of course it's going to creep into the Gardenia, and there's a gas line a couple feet behind them that nobody should dig around. That's why I leave that yellow flag there, to remind me to dig with hand shovel only near that. Thanks for the encouragement, this is definitely a mistake I need to fix this spring. Daggone it, they were hiding some of those ugly wires, and looked great from inside that window...

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:30PM
energy_rater_la

I've been getting rid of cannas for years!
leaving just a small piece will be enough for
a dozen to sprout from.

btw...cannas are happy anywere you plant them.

best of luck.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Beware of mail order scam - House of Wesley
There is a mail order nursery company based in Bloomington,...
chicago90
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
Need shrub suggestion for north side foundation
I have on order 25 encore azaleas that are supposed...
kudzu1965
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™