Lavender in Shade

LauraleyeJune 26, 2011

I'm struggling with partial sun and lavender . . . There are a total of 5 oak trees and one incense cedar on our small lot, which is also heavily shaded by two monterey cypress trees in neighboring lots.

Right now, I have a hedge of licorice plant in the front garden with two rows of lavendula dentata behind it. The licorice is thriving and its silver-sage color looks beautiful with the lavender and our house colors. But I'm struggling to keep the lavender alive under the oaks.I have a total of 10 lavender plants. 6 are thriving (though not flowering profusely) and the 4 in the more shaded side of the plot are stunted. Will watering/feeding techniques help at all? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

My experience in NJ has been that lavender wants sun and lots of it and seriously excellent drainage; they'll take crappy soil if the drainage is good. I would check the drainage under the oak tree - if the soil is heavy, you may need to move the plants.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:53PM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Feeding will not make up for the lack of sun, may make it worse as Lavender also does not like to be fertilized and does not do well in moist/wet soil.

Lavender needs full sun and dry well drained soil. You will need to remove trees or find a different plant with the same colours that will grow in shade.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 9:22PM
oliveoyl3

The lavender might do better in clay pots, but would still prefer full sun.

Salvia might be a substitute if you get at least 4-6 hours of direct sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia nemorosa 'East Friesland'

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 2:22PM
KatyaKatya(6)

I am sorry, but lavender dies in the shade. Some people surround their plants with reflective surfaces to allow the leaves get more light. Well, it does not work with lavender. (It helped me with some annuals, just to get them going.)

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
What is this ?
Hi, basically, I need to find out the name of this...
How2plant
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™