Shade Garden under Kwanzan Cherry

karen47401(5b or 6 depending on source)June 11, 2012

Hello, we have a Kwanzan Cherry inside a round retaining wall that is about 5 foot diameter. It is on the front of our house and to the side.

The previous home owners planted 5 Stella daylillys around the border of it and they are miserable without the sun. I think it probably worked when the tree was smaller but now they barely bloom and look dead already.

I have some various hostas and (5) Japanese painted fern and (3) Visions in Pink Astillbe.

Would any of you be willing to help me with a plan to tastefully under the cherry tree? I don't have to use all of the plants because I doubt they would all fit. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

Sure they'd fit & help keep the soil moist. Margaret from A Way to Garden has great suggestions & you already have some of the plants she has used around a tree.

"The late-spring-to-fall palette under my oldest magnolia, top photo and above, is glossy European ginger, yellow Hakonechola macra 'All Gold,' Japanese painted ferns and Hosta 'June,' with a couple of young 'Lime Rickey' heucheras picking up the gold grass."

http://awaytogarden.com/10-thoughts-on-successful-underplanting

Here is a link that might be useful: 54 Favorites for Shade

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Columnar or Upright Evergreen for Shady Area?
Hello, I have a gate that's about 8' wide and 6' high...
zooba72
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
Heavy shade, raised bed, shallow soil ideas?
I'm looking for ideas for a planted area at a commercial...
comarley
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™