Searching for South American berry fruit seeds

greenfrog(VIC Australia)December 1, 2003

Hi,

I've been searching a long time without success for a source for seed of the South American bramble species such as:

Giant Columbian Blackberry - Rubus macrocarpus

Mora de Castilla - Rubus glaucus

Mora de Rocota - Rubus roseus

Mora Común - Rubus adenotrichus

Does anyone know of a seed catalog that carries them, or even better is there somewhere I can advertise to trade seeds with people in South America? Hope someone can help!

-Daniel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron_B

I found Rubus glaucus in the 1998 edition of an international edible plant sourcebook but the one nursery listed for it I think is not in operation at the moment. Since none of the other species you have listed here were included - at least under the same botanical names - I'm inclined to think they have not been available from commercial sources recently. You'll probably have to rely on botanical gardens or private parties that can secure them for you. Sometimes with specific wild plants you may even have to correspond with someone who lives in/near the native range and talk them into collecting some for you and sending them over.

Perhaps these particular items have been hard to find due to concerns about weediness. You might want to check to see if there are any agricultural restrictions placed on them.

Bookmark   December 23, 2003 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Gardening Apps for iPhone?
I am looking for an iPhone application to keep track...
succulentabus
Source for purchasing mature 12 foot trees
I just built a new home in Rehoboth and for mitigaation...
aileenm
Shampoo Ginger Awapuhi
Does anyone know a good source that I can get Shampoo...
bobvisaaa
Crape Myrtles: Buyer Beware
For anyone remotely considering placing an order with...
Ann_L
Noir de Bourgogne currant
Does anyone know where I can get Noir de Bourgogne...
deansfba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™