What can I grow in my shade house?

ledouchebagJuly 2, 2014

Hi all, I have an area with a garden bed along the south side of my house that gets full sun from early morning to late afternoon. In summer the sun scorches the crap out of everything I plant not to mention, being long and narrow, it also acts like a wind tunnel so plants dry out as well. So I came up with the idea of covering it in with shade cloth. The question I have is: if I use 50% white shade cloth, will the area be considered deep shade, in which case I have to put in ferns and hostas what not, or will it be considered open shade (because of the tremendous amount of light that will still get through from the sun being directly overhead all day), and does this mean I'll have the opportunity to put in more sun loving plants? If so, which plants like this sort of environment?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Are you in the tropical climate or temporate climate of Australia?

Wouldn't it be easier to plant something that is heat and drought tolerant that is native to your area?

If you shade the area with 50% white cloth, I think the area will probably be bright shade but not dark shade.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 5:50PM
ledouchebag

Hi,

I'm in temperate, temps range from about 3úC (37úC) to 45ú (113úC). Natives grow fine in my front yard, gardenias grow there with protection, azaleas burn but survive. I guess my point was: By putting shade cloth over an exposed area with bright sun and searing winds, cold and hot, what does that effectively change the environment under the cloth into? I mean, if I look at plant labels and it says full sun to partial shade, that's talking about plants in the open, isn't it? But how do all these labels apply to artificial environments? I guess I should just experiment first, post results later.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 7:02PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I think experimenting is your best bet. I find that plants that are normally shade loving can tolerate sun, but plants that need sun don't perform well in shade. Make sure you mulch heavily and water deeply, especially as new plants are getting established.

Martha

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:29AM
More Discussions
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™