Contemplating a Wonderberry

penguin19(USDA 5)January 9, 2006

Anyone have experience growing Wonderberry (related to huckleberries) in a Square foot garden? Please share it - I'm thinking about ordering some seeds and am unsure how it would work. I'm also curious if it would work better in a container on its own instead. Thanks in advance!

penguin, zone 5

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

It's not related to the huckleberry; it's a nightshade family. Only ripe berries are non-poisonous. Generally treated as an annual, but will produce fruit in 2 - 3 months. For SFG, I would space as tomatoes/peppers are spaced. Very small shrub, usually growing to only 12-24". The wonderberry can fruit at just 3-4" high. The plants are exceedingly easy to grow and care is similar to the tomato, except that wonderberries tend to be less picky about temperature and water, and generally fruit much faster.

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 10:37AM
doozerdog

but are wonderberries tastey at all?

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:20AM
jeremyjs

The internet is your friend.

"Wonderberries are somewhat sweet, and certainly far better tasting than Garden Huckleberries, with which the berries are often confused. That being said, and the name notwithstanding, the berries still don't taste of much of anything when eaten fresh out of hand, and are consequently best used in preserves and pies."

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:41AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Well, I tell you, these forums are a fount of information. Here is another forum with more interesting history and detail on wonderberry; it sounds similar to the use of crowberry up north - not the best taste but great filler and you eat a lot of them anyway. Solanum family generally doesn't mind containers or root restriction. I wonder if I can spare a container this spring...

Dan

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:27PM
peppergrae

I grow wonderberries in a 3-foot kiddie pool. Here's a picture of the wonderberry garden. If you look close, you'll see some fruit. There are also a few huckleberry plants mixed in. I don't have as much luck growing hucks as I do the wonderberries, but would much prefer a bumper crop of huckleberries since it takes less to make a pie. that's all I ever do with them, though as a child I sure loved wonderberry dumplings!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:40PM
rockguy(7a)

I have gardened a LONG time and have tried several of the annual berry plants. Wonderberry is as good as any but in truth the taste is just not much. You will have to use a lot of sugar, maybe some lemon, etc to make a decent pie. They will do you until real blueberry plants start producing, assuming you'll be planting those. Hard to beat the taste of a real blueberry tho.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 5:13AM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™