Annuals

descoutMarch 13, 2011

I would like to plant some annuals in front of my house. This area is on the NW side and receives lots of sun and the soil is fairly well drained. I am looking for annuals I can plant that will give a good summers worth of color.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Zinnias (Profusion or Zahara for short ones, Elegans for tall ones), scaevola, Victoria Salvia, Ornamental Peppers (Black Pearl is gorgeous), Tassel Flower, Pentas (I like the standard sized ones best: about 18 inches tall), Marigolds (Durango is excellent), and Vinca.

These are all ones that I have used again and again in my hot southern summer garden. Given decent soil and semi-regular water, they bloom from spring to fall with little care other than a mid summer cut back.

Just as a note, I often wait to start marigolds from seed in pots until the first week of July. Then I plug them into choice spots to mimic chrysanthemums in the fall. There are always some plants that are looking ratty by then. Having a couple dozen fresh blooming plants with which to replace them does a world of good.

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 8:59PM
esh_ga

The annual vincas are my favorite - they come in white, pink, pink-purple. They usually hit the stores around mid-April.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 9:49AM
tresa(7-8)

Any one ever tried gazanias? I got some last year and they did very well here in Alabama. They like the soil to be just a bit dry like in a raised bed, but pretty tough otherwise.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 10:14PM
sann777

I like to plant the dark leafed begonias. Our local Chili's restaurant always plants begonias out front. I've noticed they put two plants (sometimes different colors) in the same hole to make a larger rounder plant. Also the Victoria Blue salvia is very pretty. For years I planted short marigolds with purple ageratum out near the road at my house. Also, vinca will stay till fall and also red salvia and the gold lantana love the heat.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 6:11AM
More Discussions
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™