Deer/rabbit resistant shade perennials

kathieloJuly 28, 2008

DH and I are trying to create a nature walk through a section of old trees on our property. We have cleared out most of the underbrush and sarted the path creating areas to sit. I would like to plant some flowers along the path for some interest. So far I planted a pulmonaria as a test...I had it in a pot on my deck. It did well...bloomed great this season but looks like it is drying up. I also planted ajuga, lirope and forget me nots here and there. there are also some daffodil bulbs around. I don't water up there...too far from the hose...so the only moisture the area gets is rain. However, the deer are loving the newly cleared path....so much easier to pick their dinner. The tree cover provides heavy shade with some peeks of sun though very little. This creates a problem for me. Has anyone else fixed this problem? With what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynandjon(Z 5/6)

Once plants are established I dont water unless its a drought. But if your plants are in tree roots, the trees might absorb the water before the plants to.
For the deer I use deer out. IMO nothing is deer proof. I have 11 acres and deer are plentiful. They eat everything thats not tied down.The deer out has worked great for me.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™