Larger flowers?

gracie01(z5 IL)July 27, 2007

I have a shade bed under 2 mature ash trees. I have astillbe and hostas planted there, filling in with impatiens for some color. Are there any shade plants with larger flowers? My hostas get lost from the road. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
entling

Stylophorum diphyllum has 3-4" bright yellow flowers off & on all summer (heaviest bloom is in spring), Actaea/Cimicifuga racemosa has large bottle-brush white flowers that stand out well in shade, blooming in July or August.

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 12:44PM
entling

How could I forget Japanese anemones!

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 1:44PM
gracie01(z5 IL)

Thanks so much. If you think of anything else, please post.

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 4:38PM
busyd95

I have coneflower blooming right next to my astilbe and hosta, monarda just a dash over where it takes advantage of a bit more dappled sun than shade, goatsbeard which gets white plumes in late spring/early summer, yellow loosestrife (which doesn't get much bloom in shade, but is nice and bushy with a large variegated presence.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 6:02PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Lobelia Cardinalis gives a PUNCH of colour and is blooming right now until October.

I also have Rose Mallow blooming in the shade and the colours are quite spectacular.

Most daylilies will take a fair bit of shade and still bloom with large colourful blooms.

Firewitch Dianthus and other closely related dianthus will give a big punch but are low to the ground so that may not be what you are looking for.

Echinaceas (wide colour variety now avail) so well in a fair bit of shade, bloom mid to late summmer and early autumn and the goldfinches LOVE it.

My large iris do well in the shade and are a rich punch of colour in spring/early summer.

I also have Asclepias Tuberosa in the shade and it blooms just fine with it's neon orange blooms that the bees and butterflies can't resist. Blooms mid summer to early fall.

Another low growing punch of colour for shade is Pulmonaria of which there are many nice varieties and colours to choose from now. Mine is the old "sacharata" but there is strawberry splash which is similar, a white variety and several others.

My butterfly bushes, do pretty nicely in the shade and have many large blooms. I have the "Royal Red" variety which is actually more "Maroon" than red and I also have the purple "Davidii" and the blue/purple "Nanho blue" which is nice for it's misty green foliage. Nanho blue is smaller and more delicate looking but the "Royal Red" and "Davidii" can grow to be white good sized, well behaved shrubs.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 3:30PM
gracie01(z5 IL)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look up the ones I'm not familiar with. Monarda & Echinaceas & butterfly bushes were a bust for me in the shade. Cardinal flower died after one year. Yes, I have some purple Irisi that I could put there for spring color; thanks for reminding me.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Needed: evergreen groundcover for shady walkway
Hi there. I'm looking for an evergreen cover for a...
saxonmjs
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
Sponsored Products
Franklin Iron Works Amber Scroll 6" Wide Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
Hinkley Bratenhal Copper Bronze Low Voltage Path Light
$99.91 | Lamps Plus
Flower Market White Squashed Pot - MULTI COLORS
$70.00 | Horchow
Vision 1 Light Ceiling or Wall Mount
Lightology
Tonin Casa | IOS Side Table with Light
YLiving.com