Experience with heliotrope?

Blooming_annie(z 8/9, Chas, SC)March 22, 2005

What kind of experiences have y'all had with growing heliotrope in the south? I never see it planted around here and wonder if the heat and humidity do it in. It is such a pretty plant I may have to give it a try this year jsut to see but would love to hear your input. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shari1332(z7NC)

I've grown it in a pot on the deck. Just love it but it is a pest magnet! Maybe it would be less noticible planted in bed w/other things.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 7:18AM
bruggirl(8b)

We sold it at the garden center where I work, but I've never heard how it did for anyone.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 6:56PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Resurrecting this old thread to ask the same question. Haven't had this plant since I lived in OH. Full sun here? I want to put it in the ground, so want to get the exposure right the 1st time.

I got it in New Orleans a few days ago, so assuming it's OK with tons of heat/humidity...

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:02AM

OK this plant has been added to big front porch steps pot, facing south, in sun all day, with some dwarf snaps (and pansies until they croak.) Decided that would be a great place to be able to sniff it often. If this is a mistake, THAT should elicit comment much more quickly than the vague request above... grins!

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:44PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Good choice of location,purpleinopp mainly because you recognize you bought it for the fragrance also and squatting down and bending further over to sniff the lovely
flowers is kind of silly.
When it goes, try torenia as a replacement for it and the pansies.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 9:38PM

Hi Dottie, thanks for the reply. When it goes?! Shhh! This plant is going to live forever. ...but just in case, I've added a pentas to the pot also. Nothing else smells like Heliotrope, sigh. I always thought Torenia liked some shade... but haven't had any in about 10 years and, if memory serves, it didn't live long. Probably needed more sun! Will definitely keep my eyes open for some, thanks!

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:52AM
organic_kitten(8)

I love heliotrope. It does beautifully in the summertime planted or potted here, but, alas, dies off in winter.
kay

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Beware of mail order scam - House of Wesley
There is a mail order nursery company based in Bloomington,...
chicago90
Lilac for the South
Wayside has a lilac in their catalog which they say...
Joeray
mimosa pruning
I was given a 1 yr old potted mimosa and planted in...
Diane_Warneke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™