New to SFG : need help

weldontx(z 8a TX)January 20, 2012

I have started seeds inside and while getting the bed prepped I have been studying what will companion with what. Then I thought of a space that I have that might make a good SFG. It's approx. 2 ft. wide and about 12 - 14 ft. long. I would like to get feed back on this plan. Remember the bed is two ft. wide.

2 ft. Tomatoes; 1 ft onions; 1 ft. lettuce; 1ft. carrots; 2 ft.tomatoes; 1 ft. onion; 2 ft. peppers. I would probably go another 2 ft. with squash, either summer or winter.

Ideas please. I'm in zone 8 Dallas, Ft. Worth, TX. area

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janezee(Sunset 5, 8b, Whidbey WA)

Sounds good! You might need 4 squares for each tomato and each squash. That depends on what kind you grow and if you're trellising or staking or sprawling. SunGold, for instance, takes up a lot of room, whereas Lime Green Salad or Red Robin are small and would only need a square each. Not all tomatoes are created equal, nor is their spacing.
Squash, I love. But be prepared for the sprawl of vines like spaghetti squash, or the huge leaves of zucchini.
Either way, you sound like you are on your way. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 4:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weldontx(z 8a TX)

Thanks, Jan. I have some veggies that I've winter sown and will probably need to transplant in 2 - 3 weeks. So I hope the bed is ready by then. Help is coming today. The tomatoes that I grow get large, but we'll deal with that

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
Filling my raised bed
Ok, I'm new to gardening but am planning on constructing...
Matt Cauwels
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
What to put in the bottom of 12" high boxes??
Hello all, I am doing my first SFG this year. I live...
Deck Pros
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™