What to plant?

tracikMarch 18, 2013

Hi all!! We just bought a house and it faces west. So the front yard will be sun from noon on. We just put sod down and I kept all across the front if the house free for flower garden. I would like to plant a few bushes that do not get too big and then some flowers also. What can I plant that will take the heat? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

There's lots you can plant. Shrubs would be roses, butterfly bushes, lantana. These can be kept pruned each year to keep size manageable, or buy dwarf variety. Don't buy a rose for example that gets super huge. Other flowers would be zinnia, cosmos, pentas, daylillies, verbena, marigolds, blackeyed susan. Go to a nursery or garden center and look at their plants in the sunny locations. The tag will tell you full sun. oh also in LA there is shrimp plant.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:13PM
pamelagrace(7b Raleigh NC)

My mother-in-law who lived near New Roads had Hydrangeas in her side yard which was in the open and they were beautiful.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:19AM
PRO
Bridget Helm

indian hawthorne make great foundation shrubs. there's a dwarf version now. loropetalum is a great foundation. there's a new white flowering loropetalum called emerald snow. i'm trying it out. it was just released by southern living.

not sure of the look you are going for....cottage or formal??

boxwoods are great for formals.
as are shi shi camellias and camellia sasanquas.

hibiscus if you are going for the tropical look. cordylines look pretty in all settings for a pop of color. i am using a few pink and green ones this year. they are prettier than the red and green in my opinion.

angelonia are awesome for the cottage look as are senorita rosalita cleomes. dallas lantana was stellar last year and is beginning to bloom again as are my angelonias.

choose a disease resistant crepe myrtle if you want something big

there are TONS of azalea varieties you can choose from too.

good luck!

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™