Orange flowering plants for shade?

mary_228(z5 IL)July 17, 2006

My decorator was helping me with the colors on the exterior of my house and recommeded the above to make the whole color scheme look best(along with yellow and a splash of white). I'm not much of a gardener, so I'm hoping you folks can advise me.

This is for the area around my patio and lower deck. Lot of tables are available for planters. Heavy shade conditions when the trees have leafed out and the ground below is quite dry. (Where does the rain go?)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
von1(z4 NY)

There is an orange blooming epimedium-WARLEYENSE.
They like dry shade and the plant is attractive after the tiny flowers have gone by in the Spring. Check out plant delights site for some of them, also Garden Vision. I have ordered from Garden Vision in the past.
Von

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 11:44PM
gardengal48

You will likely get the best selection of flowers in this color from annuals or tender perennials sold as annuals - Fuchsia 'Gardenmeister' and its clones, impatiens, mimulus (monkey flower) all offer pretty intensely orange flowers and are shade tolerant. Orange or rusty/coppery colored coleus would work also.

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 11:12AM
lisa03(USDA5)

Since flowers come and go, you might want to try some of the new heucheras with orange foliage (marmalade, peach flambe) -- perhaps in containers if you don't plan to water the area beneath the trees. Annuals will need to be watered too if planted there. My Princess Irene tulips (orange) have done amazingly well under deciduous trees (returning for the 3rd year this spring) and don't need to be watered during the summer.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 6:12AM
ctgph(CTz6a)

I have a deciduous azalea under all day dappled high oak trees... fairly dry. It flowers pretty well, with big rhodo sized bright orange flowers. Looks like this attached pic (not mine). I may be able to find the tag if you were interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange azalea pic

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 11:58AM
mary_228(z5 IL)

Thank you for all the suggestions! I look forward to working some of these into my plans for next year.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
Columnar or Upright Evergreen for Shady Area?
Hello, I have a gate that's about 8' wide and 6' high...
zooba72
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™