Otto Luykens

trigger_treMarch 22, 2007

Hello all,

I just planted about a dozen Otto Luykens (Laurels) against the front side of my house to form a continuous 4 ft. tall hedge. I am using them because they are evergreen and they tend to bush out well when pruned.

My concern is that various other Otto Luykens I have seen tend to look less filled out at the bottom.

What would be a good choice to sort of cover up the 1 ft. tall bare spot at the base of the Otto Luykens? Something thats evergreen.

I thought about Nandina's (Burning Bush), however in the past the plants tend to look less uniform. I like things to look tidy and symmetrical and with these you can have 5 that look great then one that strugles or looks ill.

Just curious what you all might recommend?

thanks,

-trigger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaky

I'm thinking about putting dwarf India Hawthorne in front of mine.

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 3:01PM
trigger_tre

Interesting consideration kaky.

Although I was looking for something with a little more color considering the Luykens are a solid green all year round.

I wonder if some Azalea's might work?

-trigger

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 12:39AM
kaky

I am not an experienced gardener. But I don't know why azaleas would not work. My understanding is that they need some shade and my Otto Luykens are in the sun for part of the year. Also, I'm not sure azaleas will give you the tidy look you want when they are not in bloom. I've really struggled with what to do, too. I've considered itea. I planted Russian sage last fall, but I'm concerned it will look messy. If you search for kaky on the shrub forum you'll see some suggestions made to me by a helpful person whose name I don't recall. Of course, people on these forums would probably suggest that you mix your second row and plant more than one kind of shrub.

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 2:20PM
trigger_tre

Since your first reply I have looked into the Indian Hawthorne suggestion a little more.

They actually do bloom nice white or pink flowers (depending on type) which is a plus. After a lot of searching they seem to be the best candidate for tidy symmetrical look I am trying to achieve.

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 12:04AM
Downeastmd(7bMd)

I have 3 Prunus Laurocerasus (Otto Luykens) I use as a hedge on a garden island in my yard and they are as full at the bottom as the rest of the plant, mine have been in the ground since 2003 planted from 3 gl size plants in full sun and they are between 8-10 feet tall and 5 ft across and still going. You need to be patient while they are getting established because you will be doing alot of pruning if you want to realize only four feet tall.

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
I had frost?
I'm in upstate SC, I had frost this morning in several...
plantnut65
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™