Square Foot Gardening Software

nanny2008(NGA Zone 7)January 12, 2009

Has anyone tried any of the software for square foot gardening? Was it worth the investment? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolynp(z7)

I think most of us have been using the MS Office suite while some use the pencil and paper method. I think the beauty of pencil and paper to me seems to be that I can carry it with me in the garden. Because I have small ones, papers get lost here pretty easily. So, I put alot of it on excel. Might be good to mention here that I type 88 wpm, so it's no hardship to put all that data in.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 12:28PM
nanny2008(NGA Zone 7)

carolynp, Whew - no, I wouldn't think so at 88 wpm. Mine will be a bit more of a challenge... so that got me thinking that I would need to get this organized to keep track of planting times/placement. I am so ready for spring!!!! Have you ever ordered from Gurney's Seed?

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 12:59PM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

nanny2008, Google Sketch Up is a general-purpose graphics package. It is powerful, easy to use and free.

carolynp, you will never see me with a spreadsheet in the garden. I use a graphical representation of what I want to do, to help me think. However, it will never leave the computer.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 1:22PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I use Excel and print it out to take it with me.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 3:44PM
nanny2008(NGA Zone 7)

John, Thank you, I am very impressed...love the 3D...hum, easy you say...I will give it a look see...may be a bit challenging for me.

sinfonian, Thank you also. I too prefer to have a reference to look over.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 4:28PM
carolynp(z7)

Oooh Nanny, the others would have warned you, lol. I'm a big Baker's Creek fan (rareseeds.com). They send the package promptly. They charge fair postage. They always send as many or more seeds than they promise. AND they always send an extra package of seeds.
I will also say (before Angela and Medo get here) that the round robin seed exchange on gardenweb has some really nice seed swaps going on. I was thinking the other day that a typical package of watermelon seeds comes with 20-25 seeds. No one is going to grow ten watermelon plants of the same thing, so you might as well swap em to get your cucumbers...does that make sense? In any case, it becomes very addicting, lol.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 4:30PM
nanny2008(NGA Zone 7)

carolynp, Thank you, I will check out your suggestions - yes, it is definitely addicting...but you have to admit, there is nothing more soothing than gardening - the rewards are endless!!!

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 11:17PM
farmer_deb

Hi - I did something different this year in planning my garden. I used Corel Draw to make a templete of the garden beds. After printing it, I laminated it. I used a permanent ink marker to write down were I'm planting everything. If I don't like the placement, it easily wipes off with alcohol(or water with some harder scrubbing). Now I can take it out in the garden at planting time without getting it too messed up.

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 1:10PM
carolynp(z7)

That's a good idea, I think!

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 3:25PM
christian1195

Use Kitchen garden aid. Its free and simple. Keeps track of companion planting and crop rotation. Requires Java 6.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kitchengarden/

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
My sister broke my corn tassel!
Long story short, I have a few corn plants growing...
Nila Arivoli
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
Cinder block raised bed & drainage
Hi, I am new to this forum and gardening so please...
Alex Rumjancevs
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Botanical Isle Kiwi
Home Depot
Gray Garden Tile Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Iron Lace Table Lamp
$129.60 | Bellacor
Rattan family basket set (set of three)
Origin Crafts
Nourison Home and Garden Green Indoor/Outdoor Rug (7'9 x 10'10)
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Sol Star
Home Depot
Large Butterfly Garden Canister
$82.00 | Horchow
Book Gnome Lamp
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™