Pine Straw as a universal mulch

bspatial5April 3, 2007

Here in central Mississippi we have an abundant supply of pine straw which is usually piled around all types of plants. Is this a mistake? Are there some plants that are best not mulched with pine straw?

Thank you-Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Pine straw is a terrific mulch for all kinds of in-ground plants. The only place where it should be avoided is in a seeding bed. Pine straw has been proven to prevent the germination of some seeds. Great weed control, huh?

By the way, pine straw isn't just used in Central Mississippi, but in ALL locations that this renewable resource is commonplace.

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 11:37AM
agnespuffin

About the only thing you have to worry about is that in a rose bed, it will gradually increase the acid content of the soil. If you find that roses, which like a more alkaline soil, aren't doing well, add a little lime. It's the greatest mulch in the world for acid lovers like azaleas and camellias.

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 11:09PM
bspatial5

Many thanks for the responses. I have used it around roses. I'll lime them a bit and be more careful. I'll also Google "alkaline loving plants" and assume same for them.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 11:10PM
agnespuffin

Be careful....it may take YEARS for the pine straw to make a difference. Just watch your roses and have your soil tested if you begin to see them decline.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 2:16PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

The soil over most of the southeast is naturally acidic, pines have been growing here since time has been recorded (and before). Using pine straw as mulch today isn't going to make a big difference. It sure looks good though.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
I had frost?
I'm in upstate SC, I had frost this morning in several...
plantnut65
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™