Lady's Mantle in the South

atlanta_gardener(7b Atlanta)April 15, 2004

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone's had experience growing Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla Mollis) in this area. My in-laws in Michigan have tons of it but according to a couple of my sources it may be too hot here. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

didn't like my place at all. may be that zone 7 is its southern limit?

Bookmark   April 15, 2004 at 11:11AM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

I've tried it twice - didn't like me either. Linda

Bookmark   April 15, 2004 at 3:25PM
esh_ga

I see it growing at abandoned home sites from time to time in the atlanta area.

Bookmark   April 15, 2004 at 8:26PM
shenandoah(7NC)

When I was a southern greenhorn some years ago I went to buy several pots of lady's mantle at a nursery and the woman working there made a funny face when I put them in my cart. "Don't they grow well here?" I asked. She looked over her shoulder, checking to see if the boss was around. "It can be difficult," she said, and then, deciding she shouldn't discourage a sale, amended that. "Try it for yourself and see." I bought the plants, put them in my garden, and they literally melted away as the weather warmed. So now I know better. Almost ANYTHING I see growing in massive heaps and billows in a British gardening book or mag (or PNW, for that matter) I avoid like the plague, because I know my climate is the exact opposite. Now when I shop at a nursery and I see someone picking up alchemilla mollis or delphinium or cyclamen or anything else that I know is going to be dead in two weeks I make a face -- and hope they catch on.

Bookmark   April 16, 2004 at 9:15PM
tabassam

I bought some cheap 6-packs from Wal-mart 3 yrs. ago and put some in a moist shady place--they were very small for 2 yrs. and this spring they finally have some growth to where it is noticable. I wouldn't buy any expensive ones. The ones I planted in dry shade and/or sunny places died out. By the way, I have a 2yr. cyclamen in a small pot that I overwintered and have placed in a shady cool microclimate place and it bloomed again (only 2 blooms, but I was trilled nevertheless) and still holding on with the blooms going on 6 weeks. I think if you have a microclimate that would suit a potential plant--you probaly can grow it.

Bookmark   April 19, 2004 at 9:11PM
ccl38(8A Savannah, GA)

Planted it twice--watched it die both times--won't plant it again.

Bookmark   April 20, 2004 at 4:47PM
sugarhill(7)

I have alchemilla mollis - common Lady's Mantle. It grows fine just north of Atlanta in Gwinnett County. Better than fine. I got mine from a nursery over near Athens that sells only plants that do well in this area of Georgia. It's absolutely beautiful today after yesterday's rain. I'm a beginner gardener and not very good at it yet, so you don't need to know what you're doing to grow it. Make sure it's in shade.

Bookmark   April 27, 2004 at 8:11PM
squirrelspur(6B/7A NC)

I have some I grew from seed that is doing well under trees. 'Irish Silk' is the name of the cultivar.

K

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 1:03PM
ccl38(8A Savannah, GA)

It is such a pretty plant and I have watched it melt twice.

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 4:00PM
organic_gardenhag(7)

Looking for anyone else to comment, I want some so bad, miss my Midwest garden. I have been planting other plants with need of afternoon shade, in a new part sun bed with improved soil, hoping that may be what they need. I am halfway between ATL and Chatanooga.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Lilac for the South
Wayside has a lilac in their catalog which they say...
Joeray
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Lady Bug 2' x 3'
$58.97 | Home Depot
Quoizel Laila LLA5004RA Chandelier - LLA5004RA
$184.98 | Hayneedle
Kenroy Home Battery Operated LED Wax Candle Set 32029CAN
$34.20 | Home Depot
"New One of a Kind Hand Knotted Wool 10'x14' Oriental Blue Oushak Area Rug H7055
BH Sun Inc
NCAA South Carolina Gamecocks Jersey Mesh Valance
$23.95 | Bellacor
4' Red Cedar Southern English Garden Bench
Fifthroom.com
South Street 17" High Outdoor Galvanized Post Light
Lamps Plus
Rose Quartz Pump Dispenser
$688.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™