Need to hide an unattractive fence.

Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5August 24, 2006

My neighbor is putting up a 6' wood privacy fence in his front yard, right on the property line. The bad looking side is facing my yard. This is really going to affect the "Curb Appeal" of my yard. I am considering putting several evergreen (for 4 season coverage) trees or shrubs, perhaps in a raised bed. The area is between two huge maple trees and a blue spruce is right behind the fence in the neighbor's yard. The area I will have to cover is shady, about 30' long and 4ft deep. My driveway is on the other side of the proposed bed.

Any suggestions to help me with plant design and selection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

I supposed you have tried a friendly, reasonable approach with the neighbor, voicing your objections? You didn't indicate if you had also checked the local codes to determine if such a tall fence is permitted in front of a residence. In many locations, the height of a fence is limited to 4' between the front building line of the residence and the street and must not extend across any right of way for underground utility lines. Also, in many states, any permanent structure placed ON the property line, legally becomes jointly owned by the two parties involved.
If all those options fail, you could paint your side of the fence with flat black paint before planting evergreens in front of it. It will become almost unnoticeable.
Rb

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 2:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
busyd95

I agree with Razorback that you should check zoning on this fence--in addition to the other issues that Rb raises, the ugly side of the fence is often required to be on your neighbor's side, not yours.
You might consider climbing hydranga--these will take a while to mature, but do provide some winter interest as well with their hairy, knarly stems.

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?
Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back...
somba75
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™