size and finish

rj_hythloday(8A VA)January 31, 2009

I have been planning on 6 4x4 beds, I have read quite a few posts w/ bigger beds. I am tall, and have longer arms so I am considering 3 4x8 beds might be more efficient for spacing and the amount of room I have for walkways.

I'm also wondering if I get pine or even cedar should I stain it? I'm thinking some of it will be plywood and each year replace a ply wood bed to be cedar.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

rj - three 4x8's is what I would go with. You'll like that much better. My largest box is 4x25, and is no problem to take care of. Sure, I have to walk all the way around it to tend to things, but the exercise is welcomed. I wish it was 4x50! Heh. Concerning the stain....Maybe on the outside, for cosmetic reasons - but not on the inside. My large box is cedar, but the posts are ptw.

EG

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 4:13PM
carolynp(z7)

I think it's the 4' that is important. That way you can reach across it from one dimension. I wouldn't use stain. I have no idea if it would actually leach into your plants, but why take chances?

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 6:31PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

2 of my beds are 4'x 10' and they're no problem to work around. I wouldn't go wider than 4' but I think the length is fine. My new ones are smaller, but that's just because of the space I have.

I think there a thread about non-toxic wood preservative not too long ago, you might try a search. (I think it was this forum).

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 9:49PM
conniem56(US=6-7, SS=3B, E. WA)

I have 6 beds that are all 4' X 8'. It worked better with the space I have. My beds are made of fir (I think). We didn't stain or seal them. We will see how long they last - this will be the second year.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My new garden blog

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 12:34AM
jleiwig(6)

I will have 3 4x8 beds, plus a couple 2x4 or 4x4 beds. The corn will get their own 4x8, the onions/garlic will get their own 4x4 or so, The squash and melons will get their own 2x? bed, then a 4x8 bed for the salad fixins (lettuce, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower). Then a bed for peas and beans.

i'll be using pine dimensional lumber, and I may treat them with linseed oil depending on how much time I have.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™