size and finish

rj_hythloday(8A VA)January 31, 2009

I have been planning on 6 4x4 beds, I have read quite a few posts w/ bigger beds. I am tall, and have longer arms so I am considering 3 4x8 beds might be more efficient for spacing and the amount of room I have for walkways.

I'm also wondering if I get pine or even cedar should I stain it? I'm thinking some of it will be plywood and each year replace a ply wood bed to be cedar.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

rj - three 4x8's is what I would go with. You'll like that much better. My largest box is 4x25, and is no problem to take care of. Sure, I have to walk all the way around it to tend to things, but the exercise is welcomed. I wish it was 4x50! Heh. Concerning the stain....Maybe on the outside, for cosmetic reasons - but not on the inside. My large box is cedar, but the posts are ptw.

EG

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 4:13PM
carolynp(z7)

I think it's the 4' that is important. That way you can reach across it from one dimension. I wouldn't use stain. I have no idea if it would actually leach into your plants, but why take chances?

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 6:31PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

2 of my beds are 4'x 10' and they're no problem to work around. I wouldn't go wider than 4' but I think the length is fine. My new ones are smaller, but that's just because of the space I have.

I think there a thread about non-toxic wood preservative not too long ago, you might try a search. (I think it was this forum).

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 9:49PM
conniem56(US=6-7, SS=3B, E. WA)

I have 6 beds that are all 4' X 8'. It worked better with the space I have. My beds are made of fir (I think). We didn't stain or seal them. We will see how long they last - this will be the second year.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My new garden blog

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 12:34AM
jleiwig

I will have 3 4x8 beds, plus a couple 2x4 or 4x4 beds. The corn will get their own 4x8, the onions/garlic will get their own 4x4 or so, The squash and melons will get their own 2x? bed, then a 4x8 bed for the salad fixins (lettuce, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower). Then a bed for peas and beans.

i'll be using pine dimensional lumber, and I may treat them with linseed oil depending on how much time I have.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Bush bean spacing
I was reading in the Sq. foot gardening book that the...
israelithyme
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Sponsored Products
Marseilles Outdoor Wall Lantern - Small
$269.00 | FRONTGATE
Homelegance Cinderella 6 Drawer Tall Chest in Dark Cherry
Beyond Stores
VIG Furniture - Prestige - Made in Italy Leather Bed -...
Great Furniture Deal
Belham Living Carmona Faux Wood Extension Patio Dining Set - Seats Up to 8 Multi
Hayneedle
Silver Plated 4 x 6 Picture Frame
Classic Hostess
French Regency Polished Brass Three-Light Bath Fixture
$239.90 | Bellacor
Schonbek Vertex Silver Finish Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Windhaven King Bed
$2,899.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™