How much shade do shade plants need?

caflowerluverAugust 1, 2005

I am redoing a planting area out front that gets at most in the middle of summer 3.5 hours of sun from 9:30 - noon. In the winter it doesn't even get that much.

It is shaded by the neighboor's large redwoods and because of the angle of sun it takes that long to get over the tops. Then it is shaded by the house.

Is that too much sun for shade loving plants? Are there some shade loving plants that can take that much? What perennial plants would grow there but also grow low, less then 3 ft, and not very wide because it is by a walkway?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Istanbuljoy(Z 5 CO)

Dear ApostCA,
Morning sun is better than afternoon and 3.5 should be okay. The other thing that I would think about is how direct the sun is since you are zone 9. Our sun here can be very direct (due to altitude). So, far though the shade plants are doing okay with what they have. Hostas are good ones for your situation because they will grow in whatever light, unless they get too much burning sun. One lady said that for the first year she grew them in sun so they would get big and then moved them later.

Istanbuljoy

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 3:55PM
caflowerluver

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how direct the sun is. It feels pretty hot this time of year when you stand in it. We also gets lots of morning fog so sometimes it gets no sun at all.
Funny how time changes things. We have been here over 19 years and when we first moved here that area got sun almost all day. That was before the trees got so big! Gardening is an ever evolving thing.

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 7:23PM
arcy_gw

I would only add that it all depends on the plant and the amount of water they get. Hosta sounds perfect for you. Some may not flower if there is too much shade. Some take more sun well if watered liberally.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™