A shade perennial that looks like Caladiums?

cheeselizAugust 5, 2009

I hope someone can help me - A while back, I saw a deep shade perennial at my local Lowes garden center that looked like a white caladium, but the rep said it was a perennial that required deep shade. That's perfect for me! However, I wasn't ready to buy and plant that area at the time, and now that I am, I can't find it - nor can I remember the name! Can anyone help me id this plant and/or offer feedback? I live in east Tenessee, the TriCities area. I'm very new to gardening - particularly shade gardening! So far, all my backyard has is rhodies (for the last owner) and hostas I planted this spring!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Might it be Brunnera macrophylla? There are numerous cultivars on the market, including 'Jack Frost' and 'Looking Glass', that bear a strong resemblance to a white leafed caladium. Will tolerate but doesn't require deep shade. In fact, deep shade may retard flowering as it will with many other shade tolerant plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunnera 'Looking Glass'

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 5:39PM
cheeseliz

Thank you! Yes, that looks like it! I think it was the Jack Frost variety I saw at Lowes, but the others are just as interesting. At least now I know what to ask for or google for planting later this year. Do you have any experience or tips to share regarding with this plant?

Thank you!

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 9:18PM
auntpeach(z5 il)

Bunnies like it, too! Ate mine to the nubs, actually, 3 of them, but 1 is making a comeback. Two are completely gone, unfortunately. So if you have bunnies in your neighborhood, beware ... It is so beautiful when growing unmolestedly (is that a word?), hopefully you'll have better luck.
Aunt Peach in Elgin, IL

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Mystery Plant
I am looking to identify this plant. It has filled...
GardenMomma11
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
Columnar or Upright Evergreen for Shady Area?
Hello, I have a gate that's about 8' wide and 6' high...
zooba72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™