Encore Azalea Empress vs Princess

jeliu2000(7b TX)April 27, 2005

I have a rectangular south-facing area (2.5'x15') in front of my deck railing. I have been thinking about planting some azaleas there. I have looked at both Encore Empress and Princess, but still could not decide which is better. I like the Empress because it has very small glossy leaves which looks great with the pink flowers. But description said they have up-right growth habit, and is 4'x3' at maturing, so I am not sure whether it is going to look great in front of the railing. I guess I can trim it to control the height, but not sure if it will have dense leaves or not.

The description says "Encore Princess" is compact (3.5'x3' at maturing), I saw a big one at the nursery, it takes an oval shape. But I am not sure if it flowers or not. I have been in the nursery several times this month, and never saw it flower.

On a side note, anybody have experience with Encore Sangria, Royalty and Amythyst? Which one is good? I am thinking about planting some in the backyard garden around my fruit trees.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaseysMom

All of the Encore series are guaranteed to bloom 3 times. The foliage is not too impressive, IMO.
But if you want blooms, then go with the color you fancy!

"Red Slipper" azaleas are just as prolific and they are repeat bloomers that do not cost an arm & a leg...

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 9:52PM
Pterostyrax(8a)

If you want azaleas that rebloom, try the Bloom 'N Again series of azaleas from McCorkle Nurseries. They are hands down the best reblooming azaleas for both initial bloom, rebloom, and foliage. I found mine at Home Depot.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 6:28AM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

I have two Autumn Amethyst and I really like them. They get morning sun and afternoon shade. I like the foliage, and although the spring show isn't all that impressive, the fall show is. In the fall my Encores produce 3-4 times the amount of flowers that they do in the spring, mostly due to the long bloom time. I had blooms into Mov. last year, into Dec. this year.

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
Myrtle won't bloom
I have a couple of crape myrtles in my yard that won't...
gregnga
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™