semi shade vine, 30 feet plus, evergreen

southernearthangelApril 19, 2006

I am looking for a vine that will grow up a trellis 30+ feet on a part of my house. This area gets mid-day sun, often very hot in the summer in Charleston, then its mostly shade. I have been doing some research, and was wondering if y'all had any other suggestions. I am 25 and still have much to learn in my lifetime of gardening. I love suggestions and reccomendations! I pretty much want one plant (in mass) to cover the trellis, all 30 feet! I know the English and Algerian Ivies will handle the job, but the idea of Carolina Jessamine or Confederate Jasmine seem so much lovelier!!! I am not sure if the latter two will make it to the top like the ivy. That is very important. Also it must be evergreen!!! Is there maybe a vine that I have overlooked that can handle the job, maybe one that celebrates the south a bit more?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Well, please don't use English Ivy - that is such a pest plant! How about Clematis armandii?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis armandii

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 11:59PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you have ever seen the Carolina Jessamine sprawling along the tops of pine trees, then you know that they can readily cover your trellis. You will simply need to prune occasionally to keep it full on the bottom.

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 5:35PM
southernearthangel

Thanks for the follow-ups. I searched for the Clematis Armandii, and I would have to wait until next spring to plant. (My local nurseries dont have any in stock). I might just go with my first instinct of the Carolina Jessamine...........ahh, then I wont have to wait either! Thanks! (I am open to any other suggestions!)

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 9:21PM
mrskjun(9)

I have a confederate jasmine that climbs to the top of a huge old live oak and drips from every limb. It is in full bloom right now, and the fragrance is to die for.

Betty

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 5:37AM
CaseysMom

There are several other choices that are available...

Silver Lace Vine comes to mind. And one I have growing is a climbing hydrangea (although it is deciduous). Another is the Sky Vine which is in the thunbergia family of vines. Coral Honeysuckle is another favorite.
You can find most of these in the Charleston area nurseries.

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 10:59AM
jpwill(z7ALA)

Akebia is another possibility--beautiful evergreen vine, very hearty and fast growing. In the spring, it has tiny purple flowers. It grows up columns at the Summit, an outdoor mall in Birmingham and is gorgeous!! I purchased a plant after seeing it at the Summit and have had it about three years and am very pleased with it. It also roots very easily. It is also called chocolate plant. You can go to Hortiplex at Garden Web and see pictures and read more about it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 7:30AM
wannab(8b & 4a)

Cross vine is pretty. Grows to 30 feet evergreen here in 8b and mine has bloomed all year. It has orangish trumpet shaped flowers and the hummers like it. Also it's a fast grower.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 9:10AM
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

I love my winter jasmine. It puts on a lovely show in the winter when all else is cold and dreary.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™