Shade garden - ideas for privacy screen plants or structure?

toni98033August 24, 2007

Hello from Kirkland, Washington (Zone 7/8),

I just cleared a corner of my property by limbing the existing evergreen fir? tree. I now have a 20'x30' shaded area to plant and more importantly, a "new" neighbor to screen (the tree branches hid us from one another before). (pls excuse the post bbq buckets and coolers!)

The area is on the East side of my house (I am standing on my patio taking the pic). The light in the front is the most direct/indirect light the area gets except the far back right (by the pink signs) corner gets a bit from the West side in the evening as it sneaks past the neighbors house. She has some bamboo planted in that corner on her side of the fence.

Are there any folks with ideas on creating a privacy screen? The fence is only 5' and my husband isn't fond of lattice. I'd love evergreens but am not adverse to deciduous. Most of the nursery folks have said Vine Maples and a good friend has suggested Pieris Japonica. I am willing to pay for more mature trees so that I can get an instant screen. I even have it in my head that I can somehow put some cedar planters on stilts with some sort of shrub in them - but have no idea if that is crazy.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks in advance,

Toni - Kirkland, Washington

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

These guys had some good ideas (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: hgtv article

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 2:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coldbeer

hello i think i can sort you out ...here in the UK we're pack in like sardines so that problem is not unusual..you can buy ready to go hedges that start at that fence height with bare trunk under fence level...to get idea look up euro plants UK

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 5:36AM
More Discussions
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?
Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back...
somba75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™