Dry-shade

collinw(7b)August 4, 2006

I live in zone 7b and I am looking for suggestions for plants that will grow in dry-shade with dappled,afternoon sun. Native plants would be nice. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

If you post this on the native forum, I'll bet you can get some ideas. Where in zone 7b do you live?

Here is one post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Shade

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 5:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aisgecko(7b Raleigh)

Phlox divaricata, smooth solomon's seal, tiarellas, celadine poppies, and coral bells all do great in dry shade for me. Some other non-natives for dry shade are hardy cyclamen, epimediums, pulmonaria, toad lilies, and some hostas (though some like the last two would prefer some moisture). I also grow astilbes in fairly dry shade but you have to get them established before they can take any kind of drought.

If your shade is dry because of tree roots one thing I have learned that helps is to water the entire area (not just the plants) and to water deeply to draw the roots down. Frequent shallow waterings just encourage shallow roots and watering just the plants draws the tree roots into the are where your plant is and the tree roots hog all the water. Once I read about this and changed my watering habits I lost much fewer plants. Good luck! -Ais.

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Taller shrubs for a mostly shady area
Hi there! I live in Durham, NC and have an area in...
crabbygardener
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™