has anyone else lost their red assassin bugs?

Bridget HelmApril 29, 2013

my red assassin bugs have disappeared. i've had them in great abundance for 6 years in my flower garden, but now they are nowhere to be found. the last time i recall seeing them was in January or February. I'm in Louisiana. I haven't sprayed any pesticides. i did use neem oil on some thrips, but it was on only a few plants. and now that i think about it, the assassins were already gone at that time.

anyway, i'm just wondering if anyone else in the South has "lost" their red assassin bugs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I doubt very much that what you're observing is a regional loss of Assassin bugs. Do you know what kind off assassin bugs they are? That name is generically used for several different species. What do the adults look like?

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:33PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

These reds are babies, instars of the adult to come.
They hatch out at different times each year depending on
weather and temperature and they tend to stay near where
they hatched.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 2:00PM
PRO
Bridget Helm

their official name seems to be milkweed assassin because they are assassin bugs that resemble the milkweed bug.

i'm have searched my yard and can't find a single one. i had hundreds before. the little nymphs would sometimes hitch a ride on my cat and get into the house.

an adult milkweed assassin bug

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 9:58PM
lkzz(7b)

Great bugs to have around!

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:34AM
organic_gardenhag(7)

Okay, I have hundreds of these on my asclepias tuberosa in the fall. Is this what makes people call it chiggerweed, they do make me want to cut the whole thing down to get rid of them. Are they the same, and who do they eat?

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:31AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Organic, what you are seeing on your milkweed are NOT the same, at all. Yours are true milkweed bugs and feed on the seeds of milkweed plants. There are two species of milkweed bugs, large and small. A picture would allow me to identify which you have.

The red assassin bugs being discussed in this thread are only related....they are predatory insects not seed eaters.

Many plants are called 'chigger weeds '. In my experience it most commonly referred to Queen Anne's lace.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™