Is vermiculite truly necessary for a square foot garden?

GardeningHeidi(5)January 8, 2011

I know it borders on blasphemy to ask this, but a friend of mine said that when she couldn't afford vermiculite, she simply used peat moss and compost and it worked beautifully. I'd like to hear some experts' thoughts and insights into this. What do you think? Of course, I love the idea of not having to use 15+ dollars of vermiculite for each garden, but I don't want to do it if it's just going to make them fail.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
googoo1876

It depends. If it is in raised bed no. I would definitely not recommend vermiculite for raised beds. It is mainly used to aerate soil in pots. In pots well yeah I would recommend.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 11:01PM
joytosew(5MO)

I have three current beds 4x12. We put them in last summer after pulling out the small beds I had for three years. I never used vermiculite in any of my beds. I used peat moss, and composted manures from a nearby farm. The only compost I purchased was mushroom and it was cheap.
I've had excellent harvest with my beds even the past two years with the odd weather patterns in our area.

Good luck and have fun!

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 10:03PM
ron_2008(5)

Necessary? Well,at least in my 2 short years of SF gardening experience I have discovered that raised beds with such light growing medium as composts and peat does not retain much moisture. Therefore this year I am mixing in some vermiculite to help retain some moisture so I don't have to water as frequently.

Ron

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 10:48PM
curt_grow

I find that it truly depends on the soil make up available. My best growing beds are my existing soil with my compost. They hold the moisture better than the Mel's mix. So I would say What soil do you have? Mel's Mix is surly better than any of the new suburban wasteland soil I have been around. I would do without the Pete moss, but that is a personal opinion based on my soil type and compaction problems.

Curt

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 11:01AM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

the book says that in third world countries they teach the system using just compost, so........

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 5:56PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

My brother does not do SFG but does raised beds with a mixture of compost and topsoil. Very much a no-no for SFG purists, but he gets great results. He has said he does envy my mel's mix a bit, but is fine with his method. His is much cheaper. So the answer is no, you don't NEED vermiculite, but it is helpful if you can afford it.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 3:09PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Hi there. New to this forum but not new to Garden Web.

I did square foot gardening back in the early 80's and I'm pretty sure "Mel's Mix" didn't exist back then.

I had a wonderful garden =:)

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 5:45PM
Alane2

I have used vermiculite and I have used clean sand. I use the same ratio. The sand works well although it is a little heavier to mix.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 8:56PM
AnnaA

A local nursery advised against vermiculite due to his belief that there is no such thing as an asbestos-free product. But some web postings disagree. In any case, my soil produces well, but I will be adding vermiculite to help conserve water as it does flow a bit too easily through the soil despite my use of soaker hoses.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Sealing wood framed raised boxes?
I'm planning on building several raised beds for my...
djscrapbooks
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Sponsored Products
Chicago Cubs Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Earthwise New Generation 20-inch Cordless Lawn Mower
Overstock.com
Carson 30 in. Sonnet Family Wind Chime - 62904
$55.99 | Hayneedle
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Polyresin Solar Powered LED Garden Elf Holdin
$16.98 | Home Depot
WallsNeedLove Moody Triangles Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP11-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Lush Decor Ivory 72-inch Duke Garden Door Panels (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Veranda Chocolate/Terracotta 4
$71.18 | Home Depot
Koi Pond D├ęcor
$13.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™