Newbie gardener needs help w/choosing plants for shady area

halfandhalf(10b)August 29, 2012

Hello out there, I'm pretty new to gardening and have 2 beds on the north side of my 2 story house that gets about 2-4 hours of filtered sun. My neighbors have about 20 banana trees growing on other side of wall where I will be planting and they shed leaves and flowers on the dirt.Don't know if that makes a difference but they have a sticky substance. I live in zone 10 Ca,sunset 24 a mile from ocean. We have mild temps most of year, no real frost

I would like to grow some edibles there but most need more sun. Also was thinking about some flowers or ferns but not sure where to start.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Tough to grow any edibles under those restricted light conditions. May be better to focus on ornamentals here and try edibles in containers that can be moved into a sunnier aspect.

My sister lives in similar conditions and gardens under similar circumstances (Dana Point). Plants that thrive for her are azaleas, hydrangeas, hosta, ferns, liriope potted bamboo and camellias. In the sunniest locations she has gardenias and geraniums in containers.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 6:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

This book helped me out a lot when I wanted to expand our shade gardens. Year round interest is possible and foliage can be beautiful especially in your zone!

In another garden we have everbearing strawberries that are partly shaded by fruit trees in summer, but produce a good 1st crop. If you have a sunnier location you can get ideas on the square foot gardening forum for edible plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making the Most of Shade: How to Plan, Plant, and Grow a Fabulous Garden that Lightens up the Shadows

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™