Bleeding Heart

MsKitty31(4)August 6, 2012

I have a large Bleeding Heart that has grown very well. I am happy with the blooms and size. I have had it about 3 years now. I am not sure if I should brace this plant up or cut back the foliage? I have heard you can cut back the foliage but since the leaves are still green and healthy I didn't really want to BUT the plant is leggy at the core as you can see from the picture.

What would be the best thing to do for this plant?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimka(Zone 6B)

You don't need to do anything. Bleeding hearts usually fade away in the late summer heat, especially as hot as this summer has been. Very soon your leaves will start yellowing and the next thing you know there will be nothing there until next early spring. In cooler, more rainy summers, the plant may stay greener until fall.

Bleeding hearts will just keep geting bigger. If you want to divide it, wait until spring when just a few leaf tips show through the ground. Dig up the big center root in one piece. Cut it into smaller pieces, each with an eye or leaf start. Plant each section back and you might even still get flowers that spring.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 1:21PM
MsKitty31(4)

Thank you :-)

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 1:45PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Could you plant more things around it so that the dying foliage is not so exposed? At the moment it is a blob surrounded by mulch with nothing to draw the eye elsewhere. Ferns would do the job.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 11:58AM
bpg4ever(5)

I have vinca and impatients around my bleeding heart, all are great for shady spots

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™