Sarcococca (Himalayan Sweet Box)

Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)August 21, 2004

Hi Shade Folks,

Saw this lovely bush at a local nursery. Anyone have any experience with it? Thanks!

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Onion(z9b/15 Nor Cal)

Hi Laura,
I've heard that it grows very slowly. But I've been curious about growing it too, it's supposed to be wonderfully fragrant.

~Onion

Bookmark   August 23, 2004 at 1:24AM
gardengal48

Sarcococca in all of its forms is very common here in the PNW. It typically blooms in December and January, the flowers very tiny and hardly noticeable except for their intense and very pleasant scent. Himalayan sweet box or Sarcococca hookeriana var. humilis is a very tidy groundcover form, rarely exceeding about 16" in height with neat, deep green evergreen foliage. It, like the other species, is stoloniferous, but it spreads a bit faster and wider than the taller growing species. It prefers dry shade.

It's impossible to say anything bad about this plant. No pest or disease problems.

Bookmark   August 23, 2004 at 5:45AM
redwoodrose(norcal)

I have sarcococca ruscifolia, sounds very similar. Mine hold their branches in arching sprays, about 24". Lovely scent, though it doesn't last very long.

Redwoodrose

Bookmark   August 23, 2004 at 12:54PM
Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)

Thanks - it sure looks good in the pot at the nursery. I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before.

Laura

Bookmark   August 24, 2004 at 10:59AM
kevlarster

Himalayan Sweet Box was discussed today as a possibility for a dry shady location, from the above discussion, it sounds like it would fit well in a raised bed here in Pittsburgh PA.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 7:04PM
r7command

I have Sarcacocca abundantly around my house in shady areas. It seems to tolerate partial sun with no problem but if it gets too much direct sunlight, it seems to yellow somewhat. The fragrance is aboslutely wonderful for at least three weeks as soon as we get the first warm weather after January 1st. It seems to be industructible. The leaves are very attractive, dark green. Completely pest resistant in my zone.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 11:41PM
PRO
Real LIfe Garden Solutions

Ditto to r7command. Except that I think mine (I thought they are hookeriana, but maybe ruscifolia, since mine are about 2.5' tall in their third year) like more water. The one that is more sheltered from the rain is smaller and feebler than the one (3' away) that gets more rain. But marvellous fragrance. Skimmia is taking the bows now, and daphne coming up. Love those fragrances!

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Columnar or Upright Evergreen for Shady Area?
Hello, I have a gate that's about 8' wide and 6' high...
zooba72
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™