Brunnera 'Jack Frost' has blackening leaves

rosebug4uAugust 31, 2009

We have had a lot of rain in NYC this summer and it seems to have affected my Brunnera 'Jack Frost' which was looking very good at the beginning of the summer. Now it has black spots and black edging on the leaves. The black areas are very thin and crumbly. Is this a problem I should be dealing with? Should I remove the blackening leaves? I am not sure what this is or how I can protect this plant.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 (zone 7)

Hi, Rose,

I can't help, but you may get more responses from the perennials forum. I keep checking here and it seems pretty quiet. I'd like to hear what answers you get since I have trouble growing brunnera, too, and I thought it was supposed to be pretty easy!

Cynthia

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 7:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I grow lots of Brunnera, including Jack Frost, Langtrees, and the plain old green one. Only one small J.Frost has black on the edges of the leaves, similar to what you describe. In my case, I believe it is because the plant is too dry at the roots. All my soil is dry but this particular plant is very close to a well-rooted shrub that is sucking up all the water. I plan to move the Brunnera, but just haven't done it. What you can do with Brunnera and pulmonaria is cut the leaves back to a couple of inches from the soil and new leaves will grow back. I usually do this cutting in mid-summer when the plants are starting to look quite shabby. You could probably still cut yours back in zone 7, without harming the plant at all.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
Kristin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™