Sun loving plants?

Tennessee(z7TN)September 17, 2006

I didn't know where to post this request. I have a flower bed along the back of my brick exterior house that faces south & gets sun most of the day. What are some sun loving plants I could plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

'It all depends...'

What colour brick is providing the background to the planting?

Did you want shrubs and perennials or annuals? How wide is the bed?

Have you got a microclimate there that actually gives you a local higher zone (an 8 instead of a 7)?

Did you want to use the walls for espalier work?

What sort of soil - and are you able to water over summer - or do you need to take water restrictions into account?

What colours appeal to you? And do you like dramatic combinations, or gentle, cottagey plants? Is scent an important consideration?

Do you garden 'often' - or just sometimes when there's a gap in the busy-ness? ('cos it wouldn't be kind to mention plants that would maybe take more time than you have available.)

Salvias, daylilies, gazanias, dianthus, sedums, petunias, marigolds, agapanthus, crocosmia, ornamental grasses, amaranths, coleus... All sorts.

Try reposting on the 'New to Gardening' or one of the 'regional' forums for heaps more ideas. A garden bed such as you've described has lots of potential for great combinations.

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 4:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
delawarean

Agastaches are tough plants that would look great in front of your brick wall. Especially Agastache 'Apricot Sprite' which is a dwarf orange flowering perennial with silvery leaves. The ones I planted this year were nice and tidy and bloomed all summer and are still blooming now! Dianthus, Penstemons, Sedge Grasses,Gaillardia, and Bugbanes(Acatea) are all tough perennial plants that do extremely well in full sun hot areas. Also, these plants all would look great in front of your bricks. Some of these plants can be hard to come by in most nurseries. I always shop online for the majority of these plants, and have had good luck this year with Streambank Gardens, and Dutch Gardens. Have fun with your garden.

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
Kristin
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
Sponsored Products
ViaVolt Garden Tools 15 in. 150-Watt White Greenhouse Plant Grow Light System
Home Depot
Decorative Hammered Roof Path Light by Kichler
$134.00 | Lumens
Vanda Reflections Faux Floral Arrangement - WHITE
$314.90 | Horchow
Tan Nautical On Cream Lamp Shade 10x18x13 (Spider)
Lamps Plus
Green Screen Screen Cleaning Spray - Set of Two
$11.99 | zulily
Cedar Spiral 4-foot Silk Tree with Decorative Vase
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™