Where to plant columbine?

scgatorgalApril 22, 2006

Hi, all -- Just bought some really cool columbine plants today. The tags say "Sun to Part Sun." But I keep hearing they need shade. We're in York, SC, just southwest of Charlotte, NC.

Any thoughts? Any other advice on columbine?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sugarhill(7)

Dappled shade from pine trees or decidous trees works well. I have mine in a woodland garden. They're never in direct sun, but never in complete shade either. They seem happy in this location. I also have some seedlings growing like crazy right now in morning sun and afternoon shade, but I'll move them to dappled shade before summer gets here and the sun really beats down.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 10:38PM
scgatorgal

Thank you -- I had the feeling direct sun might be too much. I'm just so tickled with them, such pretty things.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 6:46AM
leighmac(z7 Mem)

I live in zone 7 and have two hybrid columbines in full sun, going on three and four years. They are thriving with not much fuss. Full of flowers now, but come July they will still have great foliage.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 4:03PM
katzswoman

Hey South Carolina,
I live in TN now but my columbine likes dappled shade like my hostas, I never saw them growing in SC when I was growing up but got interested in them after touring out west.
Hope this helps
Martha

P.S. they like to be in well drained soil

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 10:50PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I planted some columbine seeds in a full shade area 2 years ago and low and behold one came up this year! I didn't know what it was and almost pulled it up. It's growing fine with no sun. I'm going to try to get some of the seeds and pot plant them so I can remember when/if they come up.

Bookmark   April 30, 2006 at 6:50AM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

Different varieties of Columbines will grow in different conditions. You can get a Columbine for almost any situation.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 10:45AM
ronda_in_carolina

Dappled light or just morning sun has another benefit....it helps them hold their color and not fade.

Ronda

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 11:07PM
chrystallake_2007

I have mine in full sun, and they thrive

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 7:14PM
buford(7 NE GA)

full sun in New Jersey and full sun in South Carolina are two different animals.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 4:45PM
debbi

My columbine seem to grow in all light and soil conditions. They are very sturdy, prolific plants. I plant in areas where I will enjoy their "baby" plants.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 4:47PM
subtropix

Mine do well in a range of light conditions from full sun, to dappled sun, AM sun, and PM sun. Maybe I should try them in the shade garden. Easy plants and will slowly spread (would not call them invasive). Added plus, these delicate-looking plants are deer proof!

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:29PM
gardenper(8)

I can confirm that some of my columbine came up in full shade. They took longer than the ones in part sun, but they did show up finally. I like that the spread, and if i see one in an area I didn't like, I just pull it.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™