Kerria Pleniforma

SBS12September 1, 2013

Wondering about how to get Kerria Pleniforma to "bush out more" and have a better Spring in 2014. Three plants are in front of wood garage wall facing west, in shade and so-so soil (MI has lots of clay in soil in the Lansing area). Can I cut back bushes now, since they are tall and spindly and not too healthy looking? And do I pull out the woody branches that have no living vegetation on them? I appreciate any suggestions and thank you!!
SBS12 from East Lansing MI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

When was this shrub planted? Kerria tends to be a suckering plant, known as a 'caning' shrub, meaning that it produces new stem growth ('canes') from the root crown. Given more than a couple seasons in the ground, one typically has a pretty decent stand of the stuff. Often, more than one wants :-))

Kerria tends to be tall and spindly - that's kind of its growth habit - and the more shade it is in, the lankier it becomes. And the cultivar 'Pleniflora' is known to be lankier than the species. Cutting back to the ground periodically can be beneficial. It also does better in a richer, well-draining soil.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
What is this ?
Hi, basically, I need to find out the name of this...
How2plant
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?
Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back...
somba75
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™