Wet shady spot at the base of a slope

nikhilkumar99September 22, 2010

Gets run off from watering of slope. Partial shade and Northern exposure (morning sun) on one side and shade on one. Water sometime collects and there is quite some moisture all year round.

Near Detroit/ Zone 5-6. Fair amount of snow.

This is what I am thinking of planting:

Center/ shady area - Ostrich fern, Dryopteris x australis - Dixie Wood Fern, Christmas fern and some Adiantum (edges). Also Carex elata 'Bowles Golden' and Carex hachijoensis 'Evergold' on the edges. (Quick question is Carex hachijoensis 'Evergold' invasive?)

I am also debating planting Empress Wu hosta's (Bridegewood seems to have an incredible selection of hostas) as a centerpoint.

I am planning on adding a variety of primulas (central florindae, edged, drier spots with beesiana, denticulata, pubescens. Also edge with the adiantums.

Anyone with experience on these please comment. The soil will be wet/boggy clay, North facing with partial shade/shady.

Please let me know if you see any invasive or toxic plants in the list. Also, I seem to see conflicting information on the primroses - will the varieties I have listed handle shade?

Nikhil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
novice_2009(zone 6b)

Um, Nikhil, I'm a newbie when it comes to gardening. I live in the mid south, but do have a very wet, shady area.
One plant that has not failed me here, and other places I put it, is the Autumn fern. Our summers are a little too hot for ostrich ferns, as they seem to be delicate to me.
I'm not a big fan of orange, but this fern is unstoppable.
No matter what the weather, it's going. In the spring, summer, fall, and even winter it's present. It's very hardy, no pests or dx.
Just letting you know my experience, but you seem to know more! Sounds like a beautiful layout. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
Moss growing in flower bed.
I have a small flower bed where my backyard meets wooded...
april_wine
Sponsored Products
WW 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Hyland Leather Sectional - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Chocolate Home & Porch Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$21.99 | zulily
10' Canary Cantilever Umbrella
Cost Plus World Market
Aging Eye Glass Shade Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lightology