Aztec Grass

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)April 3, 2008

I think this is such a lovely plant...green and white variegated. Somehow I have had the impression that it is highly invasive. I picked apart a clump of it last spring and sprigged it along the front of my white border. By fall, I thought the armadillos had done it in, but tiny little clumps are coming back. What's your experience? Is it invasive, or does it just need a little tidying each year to keep it neat? Is it evergreen?

Thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Which one of the 'Aztec Grass' do you have?
Liriope muscari 'Aztec'
Ophiopogon jaburan
Both are know as Aztec Grass in the trade.
O. jaburan isn't hardy below 20°F (Zone 9), but a lot of nurseries in Zone 7 are selling it as a hardy perennial grass.
There once was a Landscape Designer on HGTV(back when the G designated Garden) that used it in every design in South FL.
L.muscari 'Aztec' is similar to 'Variegata' which is an extremely slow growing plant for me. I have divided clumps of it and it has required several years to grow into a decent sized clump again. I have never applied a high Nitrogen content fertilizer to it, which is probably what it needs, along with some Potassium(Potash) for root development.
Rb

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 7:38PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I honestly don't know. I didn't realize there was more than one kind. I got it at Lowe's and it is very similar to liriope in size and habit, at least in the pot. The foliage is a soft almost grey green with white stripes in it. It's beautiful in my white border. I had two six inch pots of it and divided them into probably 30 or more little sprigs. The ones that survived the armadillos are probably three inch diameter clumps after only a year. My main concern is if it is invasive, and if so, how badly?

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 1:20PM
georgia-rose

I don't believe either one would be invasive. Both are in the Lily Family and spreads by short rhizomes.
There may be some seedlings occasionally appear in the garden from wind/animal/bird dispersion, but are easily relocated or discarded, if they aren't variegated and you don't want them.
The flowers are much different on the 2 species. If you are curious as to which you have, you could google for images of the 2 plants.
BTW, there are documented cases of Ophiopogon jaburan surviving winters outdoors in Zone7, but no details available as to conditions of habitat(protection, microclimate, etc.)
Good gardening!

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™