beginning gardener- ?s re planting bulbs (and in shady areas)
Hi- I have a few questions about planting bulbs- this is my first year having a yard and I'm not really sure how it all works.
1. I plant bulbs in fall that will come up in spring, correct? (i live in NC). Do I plant in September or October or doesn't it matter?
2. The main area I wanted to plant is in the shade. Are there particular flowers that will do better here? Will bulbs grow in shade or should I stick to sunnier areas?
3. Does it matter how far apart you plant them?
4. Do you need to do anything special to the soil before or after? Do you worry about watering the area during the rest of fall/winter?
5. I hear there is something called a bulb planter that i can buy & use to remove the right amount of soil for the bulb to go in. Is this the best idea for a gardening novice?
6. I hear some bulbs are perennials and some not? Anyone know which come up year after year?
Thanks...sorry for all the questions :).