Vines in shady area

CherylR(z9a CA)September 19, 2005

Hi - I'm new to Gardenweb. I'm trying to turn 1 1/4 acres of dirt into an eden. My first thing to tackle is an area under 100+ oak and walnut trees. We have a fence on the west and southern sides of the lot. Because the tree canopies are so large, the areas get only lightly dappled sun through out the day. For about an hour a few areas will get direct sun in the late afternoon.

For vines on the fence I was told Blue Dawn Flower or Morning Glory (Ipomoea acuminata), Giant Granadilla (Passiflora quandrangularis), Mandevilla 'Alice du Pont', and Golden Trumpet (Allamanda cathartica) would do well.

Shrubs: Azaleas, Camellias, Rhodies

I also have sections along the wall along the western side that get up to three hours of direct sun from about 3pm to 6 pm.

Any suggestions? Would appreciate your help.

Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ego45(6bCT)

I think you might have a problems to grow anything under the walnut due to juglone issue, but oaks are friendly and Cl. hydrangea (Hydrangea petiolaris or Schizophragma hydrangeoides) will feel very comfortable with your lighting conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut and Juglone

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 9:02PM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

Dutchman's pipe (Aristolochea sp.) might get by with dappled sun. It is said to be tolerant of part shade.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 12:47PM
kal2769(Zone 8)

clytostoma callistegiodes (sp?) or Violet Trumpet vine is evergreen and shade tolerant. It's native to south America, so it should not become invasive in CA.

Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 1:31AM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

If you are going to plant azaleas, rhodies & camellias you may want to have your soil tested first...they need acidic soil. Though all of the oaks may very well make the soil under the trees acidic before investing in all of those shrubs I'd make sure.

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 10:28AM
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

You may need to be careful if they are CA oaks. Those will die from summer watering, and even drought-resistant plants must be watered in the first couple of summers.

Google for a list of plants that are considered 'oak friendly'. You really want to save them, they are fabulous trees.

I have not had any problems planting a variety of plants near walnut trees -- black walnut trees release more juglone than English walnut trees. My biggest problem planting near them is that they absolutely suck up all the water under the canopy, and plants and shrubs have a hard time competing with the tree roots. I have callas, erysimums, limonium, star jasmine, nasturtium, alyssum, cannas, phormiums, and agapanthus around our walnut tree.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
Heavy shade, raised bed, shallow soil ideas?
I'm looking for ideas for a planted area at a commercial...
comarley
What is this ?
Hi, basically, I need to find out the name of this...
How2plant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™