Dwarf Alberta spruce trees

crazy4life(z7 NC)April 24, 2006

Hi folks,

We planted some Albertas 7 years ago...last year they started to turn brown and this year they are worse looking(sob).We're thinking mites are bugging them so been using Seven on them but they still look brown...they are in front of our houses foundation and porch.what other type of small and medium evergreen can we plant if we lose the Alberta's?Looking for low matinance ,full sun or shade(house is half sun/shade)a nice shape and pest free,any Ideas?

Thanks ):

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taxonomist(7b VA)

I have a hunch that your problem with the Albertas is your climate. These spruces are native to Alberta, Canada where it is cool/cold and moist. Here in central Virginia the climate is like yours...hot and mostly dry. I have found that Hick's Yew, a variety of Taxus media, to be a satisfactory substitute as long as it is wind-protected and assured of adequate drainage. Your local nusery can probably suggest several very good substitutes.
Good Luck!!!

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 7:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

I agree with "taxonomist" about the climate factor - I'm only surprised they lasted 7 years. Every nursery here in my zone 7b/8a climate sells them, and they're doomed to a slow, miserable death from our heat & humidity.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
Pandanaceae
Hi there, I was in Rarotonga recently in the tropical...
Basic_Biology
I had frost?
I'm in upstate SC, I had frost this morning in several...
plantnut65
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™