Deep shade garden

CFK94October 30, 2011

I have a shade garden under a maple tree and next to a garage, it gets total shade and is constatly moist. What can I grow in it that will give it color?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

You should be able to find what grows in your zone by using the nice chart at the link below that shows
Common Name, Botanical Name, Height, Plant Characteristics and Notes, USDA Zones, Growing Requirements.

I prefer evergreens because I don't like dull brown in winter as well as a variety of plants especially if you can see it from the house; however a sweeping groundcover could be easy care & provide some color. Maybe there are some natives in your area that will thrive.

Shredding the maple leaves & returning them to the area along with a mix of grass clippings or used coffee grounds for nitrogen/greens will make the soil easier to dig holes for transplanting in spring.

Vinca minor is an evergreen that covers well in my climate as long as you remove the maple leaves that land on top of it in the fall.

Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) thrives in deep shade, but people comment that they wish they'd not planted it because they can't remove it when they want to grow something else.

Lamium loves moist shade, so would be interesting in during the growing season & there are several different leaf and flower colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants and Flowers that are Able to Grow in Full Shade

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 5:04PM
rj56

Ajuga may also be an option. There are several varieties.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 8:07PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Wasn't clear from your post if you're looking for perennials or annuals. Your local garden center(s) should have a section of shade-loving perennial plants. Hopefully they have some that are not exotic invasives. Sounds like a great spot for a mixed Coleus garden, absolutely colorful, if you're interested in annuals.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?
Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back...
somba75
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™