growing cactus in northern georgia.

dirtaddshpApril 11, 2007

Does the weather and soil support it? i grow alot of cactus here in southern california but im wondering if i can in Northern Georgia.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtaddshp

anyone?

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 5:00PM
hat_trick

Haven't tried it myself, but I've seen several examples of agaves, yuccas, and even prickly pears growing around the Atlanta area. I'm from San Diego, so it always makes me happy to see them. I'd expect that you'd need to do some darn good soil amending to provide them enough drainage here, since we get about 5 times more rain than Southen California. But I'm a novice to the whole gardening scene, so perhaps someone more experienced has better information for you...?

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 10:18AM
dirtaddshp

bump

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 3:48PM
sugarhill(7)

You'll have a lot more luck getting answers if you post this on the Georgia Gardeners forum. I don't grow cacti, so don't know the answer. Here are some things to consider: the soil here is heavy, heavy clay - that doesn't sound good for a cactus; north Georgia is zone 7 so temperatures can easily drop to 10 degrees F - doesn't sound too good for a cactus; in a normal year we get slightly more rain than Seattle; 70% humidity is not unusual. And now that I think about it, I have never seen a nursery selling cactus. The other consideration is that a cactus looks out of place with gardenia and mountain laurel and dogwood and pine trees by the millions. Check the UGA web site and see what they have. I couldn't find much there about cacti.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 10:46PM
sugarhill(7)

Forgot to tell you, dirtaddshp, that what you call northern Georgia we call North Georgia (or sometimes the North Georgia mountains - not that we have mountains anywhere besides North Georgia). It's pronounced Nuwth JELW-ja. You'll need to know that when you get here.:)

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
New home privacy landscaping ideas?
We are building a house in Tallahassee and need suggestions...
memorr
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
Sponsored Products
Design Toscano Heavens Guardian Angel Garden Statue - KY1454
$276.27 | Hayneedle
Sterling Acclaim 71090110 60W x 72H in. Bathtub Shower Combo - 71090110-0
$650.35 | Hayneedle
Madiera Aluminum Cube Planter with Hardwood Base - AS-1-WB
$189.99 | Hayneedle
Moooi | Elements 003
YLiving.com
Rectangular Greenery Pet Bed Dog Bed
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Design Toscano Basho the Sumo Wrestler Statue - Medium - DB383087
$72.90 | Hayneedle
Sterling Deluxe 5975-48N-G06 48.875W x 70H in. Rain Glass Shower Door Multicolor
$557.99 | Hayneedle
Fanimation FP8016OB Cancun 52 in. Outdoor Ceiling Fan - Oil Rubbed Bronze - FP80
$299.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™