Best Soil conditions for Hostas

sunnybunny(Z8Northwest)October 11, 2004

Hello shade plant growers, this is a new area for me and I am excited to find out that there are so many cool plants that grow in the shade. I have an area under a cedar tree that has thick soil with a smaller area next to a north exposure side of a fence. It is all in "bright shade" Eastern light comes in a bit and then a bit if afternoon sun. I have hostas growing in pots that were given to me that have thrived in spite of my neglect and I had to buy a hosta called "guacamole," just because of the color and the name. What soil conditions do hostas like in the ground? Would outside the cedar tree be okay? Especially if I amend the soil? Do they do okay in acidic soil? Western garden book says just rich organic etc...Thank you SB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

It sounds like your hostas would thrive in that position.... hostas like part to full shade..... not full sun..... they flower best in part shade...... Don't put it in the hottest areas near your yard i.e. near a gravel driveway or near the reflection of a white fence..... Hostas like moist average to rich soil..... they are not really that finicky provided they don't suffered drought.... have some nurtients and receive shade.... water if there is a real dry spell...... I'm not sure how they do in boggy conditions.... probably not terrific..... They do fine in acidic soil..... Amending the soil is a good idea..... Under the cedar tree is fine so long as there in spots without too much root competition.... Enjoy...... :)

Bookmark   October 12, 2004 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
Heavy shade, raised bed, shallow soil ideas?
I'm looking for ideas for a planted area at a commercial...
comarley
Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?
Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back...
somba75
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™