Desert Shade Garden

Falene(Zone 9 CA)October 2, 2005

I was hoping someone could give me suggestions on what plants would do well in a shade garden. At least four months out of the year we have very hot weather. I am looking for plants that can tolerate almost total shade, are heat and drought resistant and do not cost a fortune (we are renters and we are tired of spending tons of cash on someone elses yard). Direct sow seeds would be great.

The area I have in the shade is between trees (about four feed apart).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kris(8b)

I'm in your same situation-renting and in TX gardening with a hot shady area. Now I'm sowing (you can direct sow-but I'm not cause I have crickets that eat my seedlings) violets (viola odorada) reportedly handle both our winters and summers in shade and flower. Sounds too good to be true, I'll see. Violas and pansey's also in winter but not summer.

I like herbs so I'm doing herbs in the shade and our heat, these also are evergreen in my winter-salad burnet, thymes-so many, pennyroyal-likes water, lemon balm. These I'm currently growing so I can vouch for them. With herbs buy 4" pots costs about 2-2.50 each. There are many types of thyme, but regular 'plain' thyme can be sown. I believe salad burnet and lemon balm can be sown too.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
Mystery Plant
I am looking to identify this plant. It has filled...
GardenMomma11
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™